Listed below are suggested readings that cover material that relates to various topics discussed in Hort 231.
Linnaeus - from the Univ. of CA,
Berkeley Museum of
2. Scientific Plant Names - from Landscape Plants, Dept. of Horticulture at Oregon State Univ.
his life and naming system
2. Discusses how to write scientific names and cultivars and trademarked names
||Describes the movement with the sun and the history.|
Morphology - by Dr. L. Michael Hill,
leaves. Great information with pictures; click
on lots of
links for information.
Bud - from
2. Grafting Time Lapse - video by Neil Bromhall.
2. From 15 to 30 seconds, mixed bud grows to become leaves, stems, and flowers.
- from Wikipedia
2, What is a Double Flower? - from wiseGEEK
Discusses many facts including invasiveness.
2. Thorough discussion of what a double-flower is.
of Landscape Plants in the Pacific Northwest -
by R. Maleike, M. Ophardt, and S. Collman - WSU
Extension Bulletin 1645
2. USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map
Brief description of cold hardiness, examples of problems,
2. Introduction to the hardiness map and links to indicator plants.
Characters - from Center for the Study of
at Texas A&M
2. Flower Terminology - from W.P. Armstrong, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
Floral structure illustration with definitions and photos
2. Great drawings and photos showing floral parts and flower types.
Morphology - from Hort 202 at Texas A&M
2. Tree & Plant Life - video from BBC with David Attenborough
3. Twining Motion of Vines - video from sciencetrack blog.
4. Growing Apple Tree Animation - video from GeeskeS
Click on Modified Stems and leaf links for more
2. Time-lapse shows how vines use tendrils and thorns to climb.
3. More time-lapse of vines attaching.
4. Computer animation showing how trees get taller and thicker.
juvenility and maturity
Plants - by David Goforth, NC Coop. Ext.
some of lecture and gives different examples.
Change Color - from The Friesner
||Discusses pigments and
||The Ginkgo Pages - by Cor Kwant||Extensive information on the ginkgo.|
Famine - by Marjie Bloy
2. Potato Late Blight - from Oregon State University Extension
3. Dogwood Anthracnose and its Spread in the South - R.L. Anderson and J.L. Knighten - USDA Forest Service
|1. Brief description of the
2. Good photos of the disease that caused the Irish potato famine.
3. Describes history of dogwood anthracnose & shows injury symptoms.
|Dutch elm disease
Disease: Elm Tree Protection Program -
||PDF brochure describing DED
Elms and Hybrids
2. Saving the American elm
|1. Presents some of the
strategies that have used to find resistant elms.
2. Summary of the problem of Dutch elm disease and its solution.
Enemy Chestnut Blight by S. J. Dorman
||Has description of the
and photos. If you follow some of the links on the
see pictures of the tree.
||Aspen can be a Troublesome Tree - by Robert Cox, Colorado State Univ. Coop. Extension||Summary of the problems that can arise with quaking aspen in landscape plantings.|
threatened - from Deseret News
||Discusses general threats
quaking aspen plant known as the Pando clone.
Aspen clones dying - BYUNews
||Video of climate change and
other more specific threats to quaking aspen in the west.
|Tree form responses
By Trees - Virginia I. Lohr, Dept.
of Hort &
||Summary of the study we
conducted on tree forms.
|Human issues in hort
||Benefits of Plants - Virginia I. Lohr, Dept. of Hort & LA, WSU||Links to summaries of
studies we have done.
|Temp control (urban
May Exacerbate Hot Cities - by D.
Dixon and Climatewire, Scientific American
2. How Cities Use Parks for ... Climate Change Management - from the American Planning Association
|1. Summary of the cause of
urban heat island effect and how climate change will
2. Presents 4 key points on the ways parks contribute to solving climate change problems in cities.
|Temp control (trees
||Tree Placement on Home Grounds - by Christopher J. Starbuck, Univ. of Missouri||Article showing how to use
for shading homes.
|Temp control (seasons)
Tilt - video by Thomas G.
2. Earth-Sun Applet - from Gregory Carbonne, U. of South Carolina
|1. Video shows earth moving
around sun to cause seasons (movement can be
2. Graphic shows angle + size of shadows at different times of the year.
|Tree diversity and benefits
Urban Forest Strategy - from Melbourne City
||Discusses why tree diversity is important
and their 5-10-20 rule.
topics in previous tables
covers ALL topics
When a rose is a RoseTM - by Paul
UKCA Adjunct Professor of Horticulture
2. Plant Patent Primer - by Barbara Campbell and James M. Weatherly, Greenhouse Grower
3. A Plant by Any Name is Not the Same - by James M. Weatherly and Barbara Campbell, GrowerTalks
Clear descriptions of "cultivar registration," "plant
2. Discusses the benefits and requirements for plant patents.
3. Discusses the in and outs of trademarks.
Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens - by
the hybrids used to create the blue holly series.
Mahonia - Pathat the Ratgirl
summary of appearance, culture, use, and interesting facts
hybrids with M.
, Professor, E-mail: email@example.com
Department of Horticulture
Washington State University
Pullman, Washington 99164-6414 U.S.A.
WSU's Disclaimer & Freedom of Expression Policy
Page updated November 10, 2014